Saturday, December 19, 2009

Avery Gee - Dec. 19


Hey Everyone,
I've decided to put together a question and answer blog post for this week's Lifestyle of a Cal Gymnast. Enjoy!
Q: So, you've had the last week off from practice. What have you been doing with all your free time?
A:  The first thing I did when I got home was hang out with my little brother (who unfortunately is now my big brother!). Arla, Carol, and I also went back to our home gym to visit our old teammates. They recently moved into a new gym, which is gorgeous. However, I still miss old Airborne with the crazy low ceilings and vaulting achievements on the wall. I went to my aunt and uncle's for Thanksgiving and had dinner with my whole family. But the best part of Thanksgiving break was going Black Friday shopping with my mom.
Q: Black Friday shopping? Are you one of those crazy people that camps outside Best Buy to be the first in line?
 A: Not quite! But we do refer to ourselves as shopping warriors and rise at the crack of dawn. 
Q: That's some dedication. Did it result in any good finds?
A: I got a guitar! It's gorgeous and I'm in love with it. I would play it all day, but I promised my mom I would still study if she let me take it back to Berkeley (it's supposed to be my Christmas present). 
Q: So I assume you're quite the accomplished guitar player then.
A: Not yet, it's actually a new interest. I also enjoy photography and Photoshop. I'm going to pick up sewing and I'm planning on learning Java. I'll probably have to put most of my projects on hold till after season though.
Q: Speaking of season, how is the team doing?
A: Well, I think that since I've been on the team, this is our most promising year yet. Don is an excellent coach- a good addition to the team. The freshman are also looking great in the gym (I haven't seen Stina miss a jaeger yet), and the people who had surgery in the summer are coming back.
Q: With finals approaching, how are you feeling about the next few weeks?
A: I know the next few weeks are going to be stressful, but I can't help feeling excited for winter break and season. Winter break is fun because there's no school and we just go to practice and hang out. We also do all sorts of fun things like team movie nights and Iron Chef contests. I'm also excited about season because I feel like this could be the year we really have everything fall into place. We are all competitive and are eager to prove that we and our program are excelling.
-Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment